Sigma have now announced the UK price and delivery details of this lens announced at Photokina this September. Here we go with the details again, plus the initial product announcement:
The Suggested Retail Price of the SIGMA 70-200mm F2.8 DG OS HSM Sports will be £1349.99 including VAT.
SIGMA SA and Canon EF mount will be available in December and Nikon F mount will follow in the new year.
S | Sports
SIGMA 70-200mm F2.8 DG OS HSM
The flagship large-aperture telephoto zoom lens that meets the most stringent needs of professional photographers
- Combining all of the features required by professional photographers
- Incorporating 10 exclusive low-dispersion glass elements
- Customization is possible to improve versatility
- The three F2.8 zooms that exhibit maximum performance
Accessories: Case, Petal Type Hood with lock (LH914-01), Built-in Tripod Socket (Non-detachable)
Available AF mounts: SIGMA, Nikon, Canon Note: Appearance and specifications are subject to change without notice.
The ever-evolving 70–200mm is now available in the Sports line
The F2.8 zoom lenses are the essential equipment for many professional photographers. 70-
200mm F2.8 lenses in particular are expected to perform at their best in various challenging scenes, from news to sports, landscape, and portraits. The SIGMA 70-200mm F2.8 DG OS HSM | Sports has high optical quality, a tough design and excellent handling ―all of the features required by professional photographers and high-end amateurs. The all-round, ultimate 70- 200mm F2.8 is now available.
Combining all of the features required by professional photographers
To make the lens lightweight while maintaining robustness,
magnesium is used to ensure high mobility. As a lens from the Sports line, the dust- and splash-proof structure, together with the water- and oil-repellent coating on the front lens, ensures safe use even in the most challenging shooting conditions. The SIGMA 70–200mm F2.8 DG OS HSM | Sports also incorporates Intelligent OS*1 with an acceleration sensor and the latest algorithm capable of panning in all directions. The high-speed AF, thanks to the HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor) with an updated algorithm, captures instantaneous photography movement.
*1 In Mode 2, the movements of subjects can be captured without losing panning effects thanks to the image stabilization function even when the camera is moved horizontally, vertically, or diagonally—regardless of the position of the lens.
2. Incorporating 10 exclusive low-dispersion glass elements To provide excellent correction of color aberration, nine FLD
(“F” Low Dispersion) glass elements and an SLD (Special
Low Dispersion) glass element, in total ten exclusive low-
dispersion glass elements are incorporated. From the center to the corners, extremely high resolution is realized, making the lens capable of meeting the most demanding needs of professional photographers in various shooting conditions. By optimizing spherical aberration, a smooth and natural bokeh effect is ensured making the lens perfect for portrait photography.
■FLD glass ■SLD glass
3. Customization is possible to improve versatility An AF Function button is provided to allocate various functions. By selecting it from the menu on camera bodies, or using the optional SIGMA USB DOCK*2, functions other than AF Lock can be allocated too. It expands shooting styles, depending on the user’s preference. In addition, the tripod socket with 90° click stops, made with a magnesium alloy which is both lightweight and tough, is incorporated to ensure easier changes of shooting position from vertical to horizontal and vice versa. It can be attached directly to an Arca Swiss type clamp.
*2 For Canon, it is available from compatible camera models. For SIGMA and Nikon, the optional SIGMA USB DOCK and a PC which has SIGMA Optimization Pro software installed are required.
4. The three F2.8 zooms that exhibit maximum performance
Together with the existing SIGMA 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM | Art and SIGMA 24-70mm F2.8 DG OS HSM | Art lenses, the SIGMA 70–200mm F2.8 DG OS HSM | Sports completes the lineup of three F2.8 large-aperture zoom lenses capable of covering focal lengths from 14mm to 200mm. The three lenses exhibit maximum performance in scenes requiring shooting under various conditions and circumstances such as scouting filming locations and overseas reporting assignments.
14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM | Art 24-70mm F2.8 DG OS HSM | Art
- Tele Converters that are designed to match the current lens line up (optional) can be attached *The addition of SIGMA’s TELE CONVERTER TC-1401 or TELE CONVERTER TC-2001 produces an AF 98-280mm F4 hyper-telephoto zoom lens or an AF 140-400mm F5.6 hyper-telephoto zoom lens respectively.
- Tripod socket with high usability・With 90° click (de-clickable) stops
・Replaceable lens foot (Can be used on monopod when removed) ・Compatible with Arca Swiss type clamps (with stopper screw)
- Hood with lock
- Equipped with a focus limiter
- Manual Override (MO) capable of switching two full-time manual modes
*By setting it to the MO position, it switches to manual focus by rotating the focus ring even during continuous AF. Using the optional SIGMA USB DOCK, it ispossible to adjust the MO position’s sensitivity to switch to manual focus.
- Compatible with Canon Lens Aberration Correction
*Function not available on all Canon cameras. Further, available corrections may vary by Canon camera model.
- Nikon electro magnetic diaphragm mechanism included
- Compatible with SIGMA USB DOCK * Not available for Sony E-mount lens
- Available Mount Conversion Service
- Designed to minimize flare and ghosting
- Evaluation with SIGMA’s own MTF measuring system:A1
- High-precision,rugged brass bayonet mount
- “Made in Japan”craftsmanshipFor more information about the SIGMA GLOBAL VISION lineup of fine products, please visit the official SIGMA global website: SIGMA GLOBAL VISION: http://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/【Specifications】All figures calculated for SIGMA
Lens Construction: 24 elements in 22 groups|Angle of view (35mm): 34.3°-12.3°|Number of diaphragm blades: 11 (rounded diaphragm)|Minimum aperture: F22| Minimum focusing distance: 120cm / 47.2in.|Maximum magnification ratio: 1:4.8| Filter size: ø 82mm|
Dimensions (diameter x length): ø94.2mm x 202.9mm / ø 3.7in. x 8.0in.|Weight:1,805g / 63.7oz.